The clinical practice guideline released by the American College of Physicians (ACP) in 2016 highlights the recommendation based on clear evidence on the efficacy of CBT-I in treating insomnia, while also improving co-occurring disorders.
Be part of the solution! Now, you can advance your practice with specialized training in the cognitive behavioral treatment of insomnia - online from the convenience of your home or office.
This new online CBT-I training course, which features today's leading experts on CBT-I and Behavioral Sleep Medicine (BSM), offers a clear, systematic session-by-session approach that is proven to effectively treat insomnia - long after treatment has ended.
In addition to the intensive training on CBT-I, you'll also learn about the medical management of insomnia and the requirements for practicing Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
• Insomnia treatment options
• Sleep stages
— Functions of sleep
— How much sleep individuals need
— Sleep need, sleep ability, and sleep opportunity
• Intrinsic sleep disorders
• "Does worry keeps one awake, or does one worry because one is awake?"
— The nature of insomnia over time
— Why sleep extension is a problem
— Why sleep restriction works
• Pros and Cons of the following medications:
— Melatonin Agonists
• Pros and cons for each treatment modality
• Comparison of medical and behavioral interventions
• How to determine who is a good candidate for CBT–I
— Assessment tools
• CBT-I Session by Session break-down:
— Session I: Intake Evaluation
— Session II: Treatment Initiation, Sleep Restriction and Stimulus Control Procedures and Rationale
— Session III: Sleep Hygiene
— Session IV, V, & VI: Titration and Compliance
— Session VII: Cognitive Therapy for Insomnia Related Catastrophic Thinking
— Session VIII: Relapse Prevention
• How to handle client arguments about sleep restrictions
— "I wanted to, but I couldn't"
— "I didn't want to"
— "I did it" (but they're lying)
• Practice management & billing
Michael L. Perlis, Ph.D., is internationally known for his work in Behavioral Sleep Medicine (BSM) and is the primary speaker in this course. He is a coauthor of the first text book in this field and he is the senior author of a published CBT-I treatment manual and a larger text summarizing all BSM treatments. His research includes neurocognitive phenomena in insomnia, the cognitive and/or behavior effects of sedative hypnotics and placebos, the development of alternative treatment approaches for insomnia, and sleep in depression. He has published more than 100 articles and chapters on the sleep research related topics. Learn more about Michael L. Perlis, Ph.D.
Donn Posner, Ph.D., brings a hands–on perspective to the course, highlighting what brings CBT–I therapy to life and what works for insomnia patients. He has been actively engaged in the treatment of sleep-disordered patients for the past twenty-one years. He sees a wide variety of patients, including those with Primary and Co-Morbid Insomnia, Circadian Rhythm Disorders, Sleep Apnea, and Narcolepsy. Learn more about Donn Posner, Ph.D.
Jason Ellis, Ph.D., is an international sleep researcher and CBT–I therapist. His hands–on perspective resolves common issues that arise when implementing CBT–I. Jason is a Professor of Sleep Science and Director of the Northumbria Centre for Sleep Research in the United Kingdom. He splits his time between his basic research interests: the pathophysiology of sleep disorders (Insomnia, Restless Legs Syndrome, and Circadian Rhythm Disorders), the natural history of Insomnia, and his applied work on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). Learn more about Jason Ellis, Ph.D.
What happens next?
- Register now to get your login for instant access to the online portal.
- Review all the course materials at your own pace and at your convenience! Access all course videos and materials online forever. Plus, use the CE21 Mobile™ app to access the course content on-the-go, wherever and whenever you want on your mobile devices. Click here for course objectives and outline
- Watch your email for the order confirmation and link to get immediate access to all course videos and materials online, plus downloadable PDF exercises to work through with the training.
- Start interacting with other online attendees via chat message boards.
- Complete your CPD tests online when it's convenient for you, to earn up to 22.5 CPD Credits.
experience to be all that's promised and more than you expected.