It's time to become more culturally competent so you can create positive clinical changes and feel confident in your ability to guide clients from any culture, to therapeutic success.
Join Lambers Fisher, MS, LMFT, MDIV, in this engaging online course that explores issues of ethnicity, age, gender, sexuality, religion, acculturation, and social justice through case studies and experiential exercises. You'll gain new, practical strategies you can use immediately to increase your multicultural competence, build rapport with diverse clients and adapt treatments for specific groups.
Plus, this revolutionary course can help fulfill your ethics and cultural competency CPD requirements!
Module 1: Relevance & Research: Why Increase Cultural Competence
Why do you need cultural competence for therapeutic success? In module one, you will explore the implications behind cultural ignorance and identity development models. Key areas of focus include:
- Why should you increase cultural competence
- Non-optional professional expectations
- Cultural influences on assessments and treatment planning
- Developmental theories of multicultural competence and clinicians
- Overcoming limitations in the workplace associated to diversity training
Module 2: A Perspective on Diversity
Many clients feel oppressed or misunderstood, avoid counseling, or leave counseling early due to cultural misunderstandings. This module breaks down the changing statistics on ethnicity, age and sexuality. You'll also get in-depth examples of micro-aggressions you should avoid. Topics include:
- Changing population and what this means for your practice
- Cultural genograms and common cultural considerations
- Cultural self-assessments for clinicians and how your results are affecting your clients
- Commonly misunderstood vocabulary: terms of reference, racism and stereotypes
- Acknowledging micro-aggressions to overcome them
Module 3: A Perspective on Multicultural Competence
Knowledge without the awareness of how to apply it into practice is essentially useless. In module 3, you'll learn...
- What is multicultural competence and why does it matter
- A guiding perspective to cultural competence for clinicians
- Variations of healthy acculturation
Module 4: Clinical Strategies
Further building on your awareness and broadened scope of cultural competence, this section moves into practical strategies for implementing into your practice to use with your clients.
- Strategies to build relationships and connections
- A client-centered approach to cultural competence
- Addressing therapists' fears
- The pros and cons of cultural self-disclosure
- DSM-5: assessment & diagnosis
- Addressing micro-aggressions, transference and countertransference
- Learning outside of therapy sessions
- Therapist authority and learning from clients
- Empathizing and navigating sensitive social issues
Module 5: Common Experiences & Non-Exhaustive Cultural Misunderstandings
Continuing with application strategies, module 5 describes some common misunderstandings and misconsiderations based on a variety of groups. You will also walk through...
- Common ethnic group characteristics
- Working with multi-ethnic families
- Working with limited English proficiency and bi/multilingual clients
- Cultural post-assessment to address what you can improve
- Addressing gender, age, religion, and more
Individualized Strategies to Build Rapport & Cultural Competency
Valued Over £174.23
Today Only £99.99 (VAT Inclusive) — A can't miss opportunity!
by Leslie Korn, PH.D., MPH, LMHC
Cultural competency begins with knowing who you are. Interactive, engaging and fun -- this workbook is filled with valuable exercises, worksheet, games and clinical strategies to help you become more culturally competent. Use this powerful tool to explore cultural communities, religion, spirituality, gender, sexuality and disability. You'll find unique activities to help you reflect on your own attitudes, prejudices, and develop new skills for working with and building rapport with diverse clients.
- Group Discussion Questions
- Client Worksheets
- Multimedia Resources
- Strategies for Client Engagement
- Mindfulness & Meditation Activities
- Therapist Worksheets, Exercises and Case Vignettes
Lambers Fisher, MS, LMFT, MDIV, is a marriage and family therapist who has counseled individuals, couples, and families from a variety of cultural backgrounds, in private practice, non-profit organization, as well as ministry environments. He has a strong desire to help counseling professionals in various fields feel more comfortable, competent and confident in their ability meet the needs of whomever they have the opportunity to serve. Lambers’ training experience includes facilitating workshops, guest lecturing, as well as being an adjunct instructor at Crown College on various aspects of diversity in counseling. Lambers supervises aspiring therapists as a board approved supervisor for the Minnesota Board of Marriage & Family Therapists as well as the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health.
Currently, Lambers is a therapist in private practice where he effectively balances personal and professional experiences to provide unique and practical perspectives on a variety of culturally sensitive topics. He obtained a Master of Science in Marriage & Family Therapy as well as a Master of Divinity from Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA.
Learn more about Lambers Fisher.
Your colleagues are raving about your speaker...
- "Absolutely wonderful, he is a skilled, knowledgeable presenter. I'll be looking for more courses taught by him."
- “Lambers was an excellent instructor - lively, genuine, with vivid clear examples of application often missing in other trainings like this. Rich, hopeful and inspiring.”
- "I felt that Lambers was a very effective presenter and his use of language was very effective. I appreciated his approach to confrontation and to addressing the sometimes tension-filled moments relating to multicultural mistakes and ignorance."
- "Animated, personable, and passionate presenter. Informative and highly useful materials presented."
If you're not completely satisfied, please give us a call at 01235847393. We’re that confident that you'll find this learning experience to be all that's promised and more than you expected.